Frank Anthony “Tony” Iommi, born 19 February 1948 is an English guitarist, songwriter and producer. He is lead guitarist, and one of the four founder members, of the heavy metal band Black Sabbath, and has been the band’s sole continual member and primary composer for nearly five decades.
While working in a factory as a teenager, Iommi lost the tips of the middle and ring fingers of his right hand in an accident; an event which crucially affected his playing style. Iommi briefly left Black Sabbath’s forerunner, Earth, in 1968 to join Jethro Tull, after which he returned to Black Sabbath in 1969, recording their self-titled debut album. In 2000, he released his first solo album Iommi, followed by 2005’s Fused, which featured his former bandmate Glenn Hughes. After releasing Fused, he formed Heaven & Hell, which disbanded after Ronnie James Dio’s death in 2010.
Iommi was ranked number 25 in Rolling Stone magazine’s list of the “100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time”.
In 2011, he published his autobiography, entitled Iron Man: My Journey through Heaven and Hell with Black Sabbath.
Iommi’s deep and heavy sound was partly born out of necessity—his “revolutionary signature sound” being the result of the accident and the subsequent downtuning by three semitones. He said that his “extreme volume” was likewise necessary, “because we were fed up with people talking over us while we were playing.”
- Jaydee Custom SGs – Tony Iommi’s signature Gibson SG guitar
- Gibson SG, aka “Monkey”
- Gibson Custom Shop SG
- Epiphone P94 Iommi SG -A stock Epiphone SG signature model in black finish fitted with P-94 pick-ups which is a version of the Gibson P-90 pick-up designed to fit into existing humbucker housings.
- Gibson SG Standard
- Fender Stratocaster
- St. Moritz Tony Iommi Custom SG
- BC Rich Ironbird – Custom built for Iommi by BC Rich. Features include Dimarzio pick-ups, two built-in preamps, scalloped fretboard and Iommi’s trademark cross inlays. This guitar can be seen in Tony’s Star Licks Video, for Star Licks Productions along with a left handed BC Rich mockingbird.
- Gibson Barney Kessel – A rare left-handed version of the jazz guitarist Barney Kessel artist model, built sometime in the first half of the 1960s.
- Epiphone Riviera 12 string
- Boss chorus pedal
- Boss octave pedal
- Dallas Rangemaster Treble Booster
- Drawmer LX22 compressor
- Korg DL8000R multi-tap delay
- Korg SDD1000 rackmount delay
- Peavey Addverb III
- Tycobrahe wah pedal
- Laney TI100 Tony Iommi Signature: Current main amp. Two channel version of the GH100TI.
- Laney GH 100 TI Tony Iommi Signature amplifiers.
- ENGL Powerball Amplifiers: only used in 2009
- Various Marshall amplifiers: from early to mid-1980s to 1993, including 9005 Power Amplifiers and 9001 Preamps, 4×12″ speaker cabinets, 2554 Silver Jubilee Combo, 2558 Silver Jubilee Combo, Paul Reed Smith modded JCM800 head. Marshall 1959 Super Lead modified by John “Dawk” Stillwell for Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules.
- Laney Supergroup Heads: his main amplifier from 1968 to 1979
- Orange 1972 w/ 4×12 cab Only used for the filming of the music videos for Iron Man and Paranoid.
- Laney Klipp: used on Master of Reality (Requires source verification?)
- Mesa Boogie Mark series heads: from the mid-1980s to the early 1990s